The Department of Tourism Studies was established in the year 2022-23 under the aegis of Sri Dev Suman Uttarakhand University with the vision to open new horizons for the youths of Rudraprayag district to undertake tourism as a means of employment and economy generation. The course aims to prepare the students as future professionals in the field of tourism and allied fields.
Degree Programme:Bachelor of Arts (Tourism Management) – Three-year full-time regular programme.
Structure of the Programme
The duration of the Bachelor of Arts (Tourism Management) programme is three academic years with six semesters. View Semester Syllabus
OUR MISSION & VISION
To offer a paramount place for the youth to be after school and become responsible citizens of India. Our USP is not just providing a degree, but also grooming the overall persona of the students for their enhanced future in academics and the professional arena of the State, the Nation and the World.
COURSE OFFERED Bachelor of Arts in Tourism Management (BA-TM):Seeing the growth of the Tourism sector in India and in Uttarakhand, the Government Degree College has taken initiative to start a 3-year full-time Bachelor in Tourism Management program from the academic session 2022-23 with the intake of 60 students.
Nomenclature and Duration of the Programme: The Programme is known as Bachelor of Arts (Tourism Management) spread over a periodof three full years comprising six semesterswith the provision of two semesters in each academicyear. The actual teaching is for a minimum of 90 working days in each semester or asprescribed by the University from time to time. The Odd and Even semesters commence in July and January respectively, or as decided by the University from time to time.
Eligibility for Admission: Any candidate holding Intermediate i.e., 10+2 in any disciplinewith 40% marks in aggregate, from a recognized board, is eligible to apply for the course. Theother terms and conditions are applicable as per Sri Dev Suman University norms.
Admission Process: There is a total intake of 60 students in the BA (Tourism Management) Programme. The admission is based on merit followed by counselling. University Policy and Guidelines are applicable from time to time as regards admission.
The programme comprises theory courses, laboratory courses, fieldwork, project, industrial training etc. as prescribed by the concerned Board of Studies (BOS), as approved by the Academic Council. The medium of instruction, tutorial, lecture etc. is in English. However, thecandidate is permitted to write the examination in either English/Hindi or both in combination.
Odd semester examinations for the first, third and fifth semester, ordinarily be held in the month of January and for the even semester of the second,fourth and sixth semester in May or on such dates convenient to the Sri Dev Suman University, Uttarakhand or as decided by the AcademicCouncil from time to time.
- Each candidate has to attend 75% of the lectures in each paper. This requirement is fulfilled separately for each semester for calculating attendance. Deficiency of up to 10% in each paper and 25% on medical grounds may be condoned by the Head of the institution on the sufficient ground. A further relaxation of up to 15% for a student can be given by the Head of the Institution/college provided that he/she has been absent with prior permission of the Head of the Department for the reason acceptable to her/him.
- Every student is required to attend all the lectures, tutorials, practicals, seminars and other prescribed curricular and co-curricular activities.
- Attendance is counted from the date of admission to the college.
- A student who fails to complete the course in the manner stated above shall not be permitted to take the University examination.
The examination of the BA (Tourism Management) programme is divided into six semesters where the performance of a student is evaluated through a Continuous Sessional Examination (CSE) followed by the university examination at the end of each semester. The maximum mark for theuniversity examination in each paper is 70 Marks and for the internal assessments is 30 Marks respectively. All semester examinations shall be open to regular students only.
Each theory question paper carries 70 marks and the duration of the examination shall be 2 Hours and 30 Minutes. The question paper shall customarily prepare to develop testing of conceptual skills, comprehension skills, articulation and application of skills in the tourism field.
- Scrutiny is allowed in only one theory paper as per the rule of the University.
- Revaluation of theory/practical papers is not permitted.
The admission of a student at any stage of study shall be cancelled if:
- He/she is not found qualified as per UGC/ State Government norms and guidelines or the eligibility criteria prescribed by the University.
- He/she is found unable to complete the course within the stipulated time as prescribed in the ordinance.
- He/she is found involved in creating indiscipline in the Department/College or in the University.
MAJOR ACTIVITIES OF THE DEPARTMENT
Apart from classroom teaching, the department organizes educational tours and field trips for the students, to various destinations in the Rudraprayag region. During the tour/activities/workshop, the department organise various workshops related to Yoga & Meditation, Trekking, Rock climbing, Bird watching, Slack Lining, Cleaning campaign, Social Work, Blood Donation Camp etc.
Highlights of the Course
- Personality Development
- Adventure Tourism Training
- Educational Tour
- Tourism Training
- Field Trips/Visits
- Communication Skills Development
- Disaster Management Training
- Environmental Awareness Trips
Name of the faculty member
Ph.D. in Tourism
MOI – Mountaineering
Tourism Management, Adventure sports, Outdoor Learning & Mountain Rescue System.